Monday, July 14, 2014

Spaghetti Pie, Oh My

Hope everyone had a nice weekend and spent yesterday afternoon watching one of the best World Cup Finals I've seen in a long time!  I'll admit that I was pulling hard for Argentina (it's hard not to love Messi), but the German team was just too good.  I also want to thank everyone for supporting me and reading my last post, even though it was a little emotional.  I'm a pretty private person, but sometimes it just feels good to share.  On to the food!

Last Thursday, Laurie was craving pizza, so we decided to take a healthy spin on it and create a spaghetti pie.  Now, I can't take credit for this at all (wish I could).  Laurie is the evil genius that introduced me to this wonderful creation - last time she sent me out to the store for a spaghetti squash, I came back with butternut squash.  Rut row!

You guys have to try this though.  It's easy, healthy and delicious.  The first time Laurie fixed this dish for me, I almost positive that we ended up eating an entire casserole dish of it.  I'm not sure that's something I should be proud of or not, but you get the picture.  The best thing about this dish is that you can alter it to suit your own taste...don't be afraid to swap out the Italian sausage for pepperoni or try it with just veggies. :)
The picture does not do the ymminess justice. :-/

Laurie's Spaghetti Pie

1 spaghetti squash
3 eggs whisked
1/2 onion (we used white)
1/2 cup of sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup of sliced zucchini
1 lb Italian sausage
1 cup of tomato sauce/spaghetti sauce
A few sprigs of fresh basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese to top

Spoiler Alert:  This is the easy way to cook spaghetti squash!  Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise. Place spaghetti squash cut side down in a microwave-safe container and nuke for 8-12 minutes or until the skin of the squash gives when you press on it. Once squash is done cooking, remove threads and place in an 8×8 greased baking dish.

Place a large pan over medium heat. Add italian sausage and onion. Cook until pink no longer remains in the sausage and it is broken up into pieces.  In a separate pan, cook the zucchini and mushrooms.  Combine the ingredients, add pizza sauce and salt and pepper to the pan and mix well.  Add sausage mixture to the 8×8 dish and mix well with spaghetti squash threads.  Lastly, add whisked eggs to the baking dish and mix everything together until you can no longer see the eggs.  Place in oven and bake at 350 for 1 hour or until the top of the mixture forms a slight crust.  Add a little Parmesan cheese if you're feeling frisky.  Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.  Enjoy!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment