Thursday, July 24, 2014

Like Mama Made It

Soul Food
If you're Southern, have ever dated anyone Southern, or if you've ever been to the South, I guarantee you that you've heard someone utter the phrase:  "like Mama made it."  Now, there are other variations of the phrase, such as:  "Like Grandma fixed it"  or perhaps:  "the way Great Aunt Sally used to cook."  But I'm sure you get the gist.  Sometimes, there's just nothing like having good, old comfort food.

In fact, if you're a foodie like me, I'm sure you've been to the hot, new restaurant in town only to notice collard greens, macaroni and cheese and pork chops (insert other traditionally Southern, home-cooked food) on the menu.  There's an obsession both in and out of the South with Southern cuisine and comfort food that has inspired the whole push for nouveau Southern restaurants and farm to table cuisine (although this doesn't have to be Southern, it often is).  Truth is, as much as I like preparing and eating "fancy" food, soul food/comfort food just makes you feel good from the inside out.

Laurie's been a bit under the weather this week, so last night, I decided to see if my own brand of home remedy made her feel any better - pork barbecue, cabbage and corn on the cob.  There's nothing better than coming home to the smell of homemade maple bbq sauce, if you ask me!

Plus, I had to find an excuse to test out those pickles I made earlier in the week.  Not to toot my own horn, but the pickles are awesome.  After last night and packing our lunches, there are none left!  These are super easy, so I'll share the recipe with you - also, they're ready after only two days so you can enjoy quickly.  They're the perfect thing to take to a picnic or a tailgate - everyone loves pickles at a cookout!

LJ's Easy Sweet Pickles
LJ's Easy Sweet Pickles

2 lbs cucumbers
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup water
1 tbsp sea salt/kosher salt
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
2 small Mason jars

Slice the cucumber into pickle "chips" or spears (depending on how you like them) and place them in the Mason jar, leaving a little room for the liquid at the top.  Combine the vinegar, water and spices in a sauce pan and bring to a roiling boil.  Pour the mixture into the Mason jar and CAREFULLY screw the lid on the jar.  Warning:  You will burn the hell out of your hand if you don't use a thick kitchen towel to hold the jar.  I did not process the Mason jars because I knew we'd eat the pickles within the week, but this is an option as well.  You can easily find instructions on processing jars online.  Let the jar cool to room temperature before you place in the fridge, and your pickles should be ready to eat in two days. :)

The cutest sous chef ever!
I actually have to get a little work done and should be listening on this conference call, so I need to keep it short today.  The next time I make barbecue (I totally cheat and throw a pork shoulder in the crock pot, then shred it) I will have to share my spin on a paleo barbecue sauce.  It's delicious, easy and surprisingly healthy.

I'm sorry the posts have been very sporadic lately, but my summer is just so busy but not in a bad way...way too busy having fun.  :)  This weekend, Laurie and I are headed to Jason Aldean on Friday and I'm going with my buddy, Brandon, to Dave Matthews on Saturday.  Wahoo!  That's one thing I absolutely love about summertime.  I love sitting outside, drinking a cold beer with awesome friends and listening to great live music.  Oh, and I can't wait to wear my cowboy hat to Jason Aldean!  Until next time, you guys have fun and be safe.

Lauren




No comments:

Post a Comment