Disclaimer: This post is less about food and more about me. Mom would call it a "Come to Jesus" moment.
I have a confession to make. I haven't posted lately because I've been eating like crap. Yes, I can blame vacation - stuffing my face with hot dogs, beer, chips, candy and pies (all delicious, all not so healthy), but if I'm being completely honest, it goes way beyond that.
Roughly a month and a half ago before I left for a work trip to Argentina, I found a lump in my left breast. I tried to stay calm, pack for my trip, focus on my meetings in Buenos Aires and set up a doctor's appointment upon my return, but my health weighed heavily on my mind. It may seem ignorant, but the first thing that ran through my mind was that I'm way too young to have breast cancer. Fast forward a few weeks, post-exam, post-mammogram, and I'm listening to doctors refer to my lump as a tumor and insisting that I see a breast specialist. That's about the time I decided to start this blog...I really just needed to take my mind off health issues and focus on something positive.
Well, I have good news for you! I DO NOT have cancer (or any other health issues), but I'm carrying around about five extra pounds from stress eating and drinking over that time period. While it turned out to be a benign cyst, I was so worried during the process, partially due to the "sky is falling" attitude of my doctors, that I didn't feel much like cooking and just generally felt depressed. There were days that I didn't even feel like rock climbing, and working out is usually my solution to everything.
Yesterday, I got a final clean bill of health from my doctor, so it's time for me to shed these few extra pounds and start eating better. Laurie has a big birthday coming up in a few months (the dirty thirty :) ), and I want to look as good as I feel when we're celebrating.
Last night, I started cooking again and fixed pan-roasted salmon with sorrel sauce and a fresh cucumber, tomato and onion salad. It was my first time experimenting with sorrel (it was in our basket last Thursday), and it gave a yummy, lemony zing to the salmon. I know that I'll definitely be using it in the future to liven up some of my dishes.
This week, it looks like we'll be getting cucumbers, onions, parsley, zucchini, swiss chard and cabbage in our box. Can't wait to share those recipes and pictures with you!
Lauren
![]() |
| We survived Hurricane Arthur!!! Yay! |
Roughly a month and a half ago before I left for a work trip to Argentina, I found a lump in my left breast. I tried to stay calm, pack for my trip, focus on my meetings in Buenos Aires and set up a doctor's appointment upon my return, but my health weighed heavily on my mind. It may seem ignorant, but the first thing that ran through my mind was that I'm way too young to have breast cancer. Fast forward a few weeks, post-exam, post-mammogram, and I'm listening to doctors refer to my lump as a tumor and insisting that I see a breast specialist. That's about the time I decided to start this blog...I really just needed to take my mind off health issues and focus on something positive.
Well, I have good news for you! I DO NOT have cancer (or any other health issues), but I'm carrying around about five extra pounds from stress eating and drinking over that time period. While it turned out to be a benign cyst, I was so worried during the process, partially due to the "sky is falling" attitude of my doctors, that I didn't feel much like cooking and just generally felt depressed. There were days that I didn't even feel like rock climbing, and working out is usually my solution to everything.
![]() |
| Pan-roasted salmon with sorrel sauce |
Last night, I started cooking again and fixed pan-roasted salmon with sorrel sauce and a fresh cucumber, tomato and onion salad. It was my first time experimenting with sorrel (it was in our basket last Thursday), and it gave a yummy, lemony zing to the salmon. I know that I'll definitely be using it in the future to liven up some of my dishes.
This week, it looks like we'll be getting cucumbers, onions, parsley, zucchini, swiss chard and cabbage in our box. Can't wait to share those recipes and pictures with you!
Lauren


No comments:
Post a Comment