I lamented in my last post that we were up to our ears in green leafy vegetables...kale, swiss chard and
especially lettuce. Honestly, if I don't have to look at a salad again for the next few days, I'm okay with that. Well, I found a solution to my problem. Soup!
Before you go shaking your head and thinking I'm a nut for making soup when it's 90 degrees outside, think about your ultimate "go-to" comfort food. It's probably something along the lines of chicken noodle or tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. And when you're craving something simple, hearty and comforting, it really doesn't matter what the heck the temperature is outside, which brings me to dinner last night. While Laurie was a skeptic about a lettuce and kale soup (and I'm sure many of you are as well), I'm a huge fan of cream of spinach and thought that any leafy green vegetable in a soup could be delicious and healthy. Here's my recipe!
Lettuce and Kale Soup
6 cups of lettuce
2 cups of kale
1/2 cup garlic scapes
1/2 cup spring onions
3 cups broth (veggie, chicken, or beef)
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Start by finely chopping your scapes and spring onions and sauteeing them in a deep skillet with a little olive oil. While the aromatics are softening up, do a rough chop on your leafy greens, and when the kitchen is really starting to smell great, throw your greens in the skillet as well. On another burner, heat up your stock. When the greens have begun to wilt, transfer them to the stock pot and add the yogurt. Stir until the yogurt is combined with the stock and the soup looks creamy. At this point, add the cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne (if you like the flavor). Carefully transfer the soup to a blender or processor. Be careful processing hot liquids! Pulse the soup until you're satisfied with the texture, then transfer it back to the stock pot. Let the soup continue to cook on low while you fix your grilled cheese. Enjoy!
Since we had extra scape pesto left over from last week, we added a spoonful of pesto to our Vermont cheddar grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm a huge fan of dunking my grilled cheese into soup, and the combination of flavors last night was amazing. Once again, Laurie ribbed me for not including meat in the meal, but I don't think either one of us missed it at all.
Just a quick side note before I actually get some work done today. I'd be remiss without sharing that yesterday was Cameron's birthday. We celebrated by taking her swimming, to the park and to the Muddy Mutt for a bath (that was more for our benefit).
It's hard to believe that she's four years old now. Honestly, it seems like yesterday that she fell asleep on my chest while bringing her home from the breeder. I never thought that owning a dog could change my life, but she has, without a doubt. Here's to many more years of hikes, swimming, long runs and cuddles with my best friend in the world! Happy Birthday, Cameron!
Lauren
Before you go shaking your head and thinking I'm a nut for making soup when it's 90 degrees outside, think about your ultimate "go-to" comfort food. It's probably something along the lines of chicken noodle or tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. And when you're craving something simple, hearty and comforting, it really doesn't matter what the heck the temperature is outside, which brings me to dinner last night. While Laurie was a skeptic about a lettuce and kale soup (and I'm sure many of you are as well), I'm a huge fan of cream of spinach and thought that any leafy green vegetable in a soup could be delicious and healthy. Here's my recipe!
![]() |
| Lettuce and Kale Soup with Scape Pesto Grilled Cheese. Yum! |
Lettuce and Kale Soup
6 cups of lettuce
2 cups of kale
1/2 cup garlic scapes
1/2 cup spring onions
3 cups broth (veggie, chicken, or beef)
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Start by finely chopping your scapes and spring onions and sauteeing them in a deep skillet with a little olive oil. While the aromatics are softening up, do a rough chop on your leafy greens, and when the kitchen is really starting to smell great, throw your greens in the skillet as well. On another burner, heat up your stock. When the greens have begun to wilt, transfer them to the stock pot and add the yogurt. Stir until the yogurt is combined with the stock and the soup looks creamy. At this point, add the cheese, salt, pepper and cayenne (if you like the flavor). Carefully transfer the soup to a blender or processor. Be careful processing hot liquids! Pulse the soup until you're satisfied with the texture, then transfer it back to the stock pot. Let the soup continue to cook on low while you fix your grilled cheese. Enjoy!
Since we had extra scape pesto left over from last week, we added a spoonful of pesto to our Vermont cheddar grilled cheese sandwiches. I'm a huge fan of dunking my grilled cheese into soup, and the combination of flavors last night was amazing. Once again, Laurie ribbed me for not including meat in the meal, but I don't think either one of us missed it at all.
Just a quick side note before I actually get some work done today. I'd be remiss without sharing that yesterday was Cameron's birthday. We celebrated by taking her swimming, to the park and to the Muddy Mutt for a bath (that was more for our benefit).
It's hard to believe that she's four years old now. Honestly, it seems like yesterday that she fell asleep on my chest while bringing her home from the breeder. I never thought that owning a dog could change my life, but she has, without a doubt. Here's to many more years of hikes, swimming, long runs and cuddles with my best friend in the world! Happy Birthday, Cameron!
Lauren


No comments:
Post a Comment